The Racine Police Department is currently in a Pilot Program of using a 4 Days on/ 4 Days off – 10.5 Hour schedule that is incorporated by four shifts. This schedule allows officers to have a consistent 4 days off every week, allowing them ample time for family, personal activities, and vacations.
FOUR DIFFERENT SHIFTS
- Day Shift – 7:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Early Power Shift – 10:30 AM – 9:00 PM
- Late Power Shift – 5:00 PM – 3:30 AM
- Night Shift – 8:30 PM – 7:00 AM
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must be a citizen of the United States and at least 21 years of age at the time of application.
- Must be of high moral character and free of any felony, serious misdemeanor, or domestic abuse conviction.
- The City of Racine has no residency requirements for employees.
- You must possess the following:
- High School Diploma or GED and sixty (60) semester credits of post-high school education at an accredited university, college, or technical school by the date of application; Applicants must provide proof of compliance by submitting a copy of high school diploma and official transcripts
- General knowledge of laws and ordinances of the State of Wisconsin and the City of Racine, with the ability to develop a working knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively with superiors, subordinates, and the general public, with the ability to exercise discretion
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and to determine the proper course of action within the established framework of policies and procedures
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions and maintain composure under emergency situations
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle under adverse conditions
- Ability to care for and safely operate a variety of firearms and chemical agents
- Must be able to learn the geography of the City and its surrounding communities
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
Weight must be proportionate to height, vision must be correctable to 20/20 in both eyes, with glasses or contact lenses, and must have acceptable sensory capabilities in hearing and olfactory senses.
Tasks involve the regular, and at times sustained, performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces, lifting or carrying moderately heavy (20 to 50 pounds) items and occasionally very heavy (100 pounds or over) items. Climbing ladders, jumping fences, grappling with suspects, running for long distances, and moving from extended sitting to quick activity.
RECRUITMENT PROCESS STEPS
- Step 1: Application
- Step 2: Screening
- The screening is performed by Human Resources to determine that you are not automatically disqualified based upon some of your application answers
- Step 3: Physical Agility Test / WI Physical Readiness Exam
- More information can be found by watching the following video or reviewing information on Wilenet
- Step 4: Written Test
- Completed in the afternoon on the day you take the Physical Agility Test
- Those who take the written test will be issued a background packet to begin filling out
- Step 5: Panel Interview
- Candidates that pass the written exam will be scheduled for an interview with staff members from the Racine Police Department
- Your qualifications, communication skills, and many other job related factors will be evaluated relating to your suitability to begin a police career with the Racine Police Department
- Step 6: Evaluation of Candidates / Background Checks
- Training Unit staff members will evaluate candidates and background investigations will be completed
- Step 7: PFC (Police and Fire Commission) Interviews
- Step 8: Shift Experience Ride-a-long
- Experience a shift for at least 4 hours with a Patrol Officer
- Step 9: Medical and Psychological Exam
- Step 10: Chief's Interview
- Step 11: Swearing-In
Salary figures are based on 2018-2020 RPA contract for Police Officer. There are 4 wage increases throughout the first 4 years.
- $59,446.40 annual salary figure for starting wages.
- $62,712.00 annual salary figure for an officer with 1 year of experience.
- $66,227.20 annual salary figure for an officer with 2 years of experience.
- $69,243.20 annual salary figure for an officer with 3 years of experience.
- $72,716.80 annual salary figure for an officer with 4 years of experience or more.